Sunday, January 11, 2009

January Socks

I finally finished this pair last night while watching the Arizona Cardinals defeat the Carolina Panthers. [Well, I think Carolina helped defeat themselves. But Kurt & the guys took full advantage of the situation.] Editorial comment: the news is full of reports of the "bad eggs" in pro & college sports, but we rarely hear about the good guys. Kurt Warner (and wife Brenda) are Angels in disguise.

I started this pair in October [or was it September], but only worked on it sporatically due to knitting other things, and then there were the holidays, and family time, etc. etc.
As I mentioned in my Tuesday, Sept 16th post, I was concerned there might not be enough yardage to to the pattern I'd originally picked out. Thought I'd better do a toe-up sock - which I did.
Lessons learned:

1. I CAN do respectable looking toe-up short row wraps - eventually. There were numerous froggings.

2. I do NOT like to do short row wraps.

3. I do NOT like the way the toe box fits my feet with the toe up method I followed. [From P G-R's book.] I suppose if I really, really wanted toe up socks, I could use a different approach. I've seen a few others that might work better for my feet. But, the only reason I'd ever do another toe-up sock would be if I had short yardage again. And I sure as heck will try not to ever ever again. I'm completely happy with the fit of the "standard" top-down toe decreases I use.
Pattern: Toe-up, short row wrapped toes & heels; leg: 5" of pattern, then 1" of K2,P2 rib
- leg pattern "Oblique Openwork" an 8 stitch pattern from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks.
Yarn: Filatura Di Crosa - Maxime, Color #16. It's a dark foresty green in real life.
Needles: Size 1 [2.25mm] dpns [my Knit Picks order with two size 2.25mm circs will probably arrive tomorrow]
Knit for: Me!!

No comments: