I knit the "Move Your F@nny" socks for Mother. Before beginning the toe section, I tried one of the socks on to see how they fit. A bit too snug for my wider feet. So, when I started the pair I'm currently working on for myself, I decided to cast on four extra stitches. That sounded reasonable. I just needed a little more width to the sock.
The original pattern says to CO 62 - an even number.
I added four stitches to make 66 - also an even number.
I didn't find it odd to be knitting 33 instep and 33 sole stitches until I started working on the short row toes. Major DUH moment. I'm doing short row toes - I really should have an even number of stitches. No wonder I had such a #%@* time with the heel...my stitch count was always [what I thought] off. Very odd that I didn't realized WHY I was having a problem. [Can't blame drugs or alcohol. Maybe listening to Harry Potter on cd? Yeah, that's my excuse.]
So last night [while listening to HP6 on cd -- and occassionally nodding off] I got to the end of the toe & turned the corner. Might be able to finish the first sock today. Maybe not. I've got to go shopping - It's Sport's 4th bd today and I haven't bought anything for him yet. I know what I'm going to get - just have to go.... His party isn't till supper time - so I've got plenty of time. I'm trying to wait out the monsoon rains we're getting this morning!
The note to myself: do 2nd sock the same as the first, this time. BUT...make a big notation on the pattern to, if I ever do this one again for myself, CO68 stitches -- or use size 2 needles instead of 1.5???
3 comments:
Isn't that an awful moment, when you suddenly realize you've been doing something wrong all along, but there's no way you're going to frog it when you've already done so much work? I'm glad it ended up working out!
Agreed. And since this pair is for myself - and I'm well-experienced with tweaking Oopses to make them look OK - I decided to make it work.
And now that I've closely examined the finished the first sock, I really don't think anyone who has not knit a short-row sock could ever tell. :-)
Funny how sometimes our brains just play tricks on us!! At least mine certainly does. Good that you finally managed to get it figured out. Don't you love the pattern??
Post a Comment