Sunday, January 13, 2008

KoolAid Fun

Learned a lot doing this. #1 lesson - I need a bigger crockpot. I'm not giving directions here. Just google yarn and KoolAid dyeing. I looked at several different directions I found online & then went to work.
I received 3# of undyed yarn several months ago, and I finally worked with some of it after Christmas. First I rolled the skein into approx. 4 oz. balls.




Then I worked with three balls. With one I tried the cold pour method and used 4 pkgs of Lemon KoolAid and 2 pkgs of Orange KoolAid.

Next I zapped the dyed wool in the microwave using 3 two minute sessions on High, with a 5-10 minute rest in between.

Then a rinse.

And an air dry.

Also tried the crock pot method. I liked this best, but a larger crock pot would work better.

I should have left well enough alone with this Berry Blue and Lemon Lime, but I thought it needed a little yellow. So I added some Tones' Yellow [from the box-of-four colors.]

















Also used the crock pot method for this one:

2 pkgs. Strawberry and 2 pkgs. Pink Lemonade.



Now to find a pattern for felted kids slippers.

2 comments:

Kathy... said...

Hi Jakki

Your yarns came out gorgeous. I have never tried dyeing. Looks like it could be fun.

I also am working on a toddler sweater for CIC.

Your cardigan looks like it's really coming along....

I have so many projects in my mind - maddening at times!

StarKnits said...

the yarn is beautiful. dying with kool aid is sooo much fun!