Saturday, May 5, 2007

Red Sox and Blue Socks

Last evening, just as I finished cooking supper [egg & potato scramble...no onions], DD1 phoned. She got off work early & ask if I wanted to go out to eat. Of course! [Last night's supper immediately became today's lunch.]

DD1 wanted to go to a sports bar...with her mother yet! There had been one only 1.5 miles away - we kept talking about stopping in there. But it closed several months ago. So we went to one about 8 miles away [next town west.] Oh. Right. It's Friday night. That's why there's no parking spot within five blocks. The sign outside flashed "Immediate Seating," but that seemed very doubtful. Drove to a smaller sports bar up the road and across the freeway. The parking lot was full...except for one spot where a car was backing up. Yippee!! Inside...smoky bar atmosphere. I don't do "bars" and I don't do "smoke." The hostess said the non-smoking section had a 30-45 minute wait, but she could get us in the smoking section immediately. Sure. I'm hungry.

DD1 used to work in sports bar in NC. That's where she became a baseball fan. A Red Sox fan to be precise. I didn't count all the TV screens, but the Yankees were on about 20 of them. [Why?] Other TVs were showing the Rockies [I'm so out of touch with them - they're strangers now!], Oakland, and another baseball game. About five screens had basketball. And one [a big one] had Hockey :-) DD1 checked the schedules on her cell phone and when the Red Sox-Twins game didn't come on, she asked that it be put on the TV closest to us. She was happy! I'm sure she would have rather stayed to watch the end of the Red Sox game, but when I got tired she drove me home.

So who did the Blue Socks play? Well, they are battling it out with each other for first place. Knit me, Knit me they yell from the bag. Earlier this week I decided to schedule the Blue Socks: Mother's Embossed Leaves [see April 29 post] on even days and the Blue Striped OPALs on odd days. That worked for about two days. It was an odd day - and I realized that I had frogged the heel flap on the Blue Stripes about five times -- and after the leg, switched from size 1.5 US to 1 US needles. I'm feeling like I'll never get this first sock done, let alone the second. SO... I'm going to go the distance, extra innings, [over time], whatever ...till I get the pair finished!

1 comment:

Kathy... said...

Love that odd day/even day schedule for projects! Must try that sometime.