Thursday, February 28, 2008

Middle of the night musings

I've got a rotten cold. Slept 3 hours and then was wide awake - the pharmacist told me that the Allegra D might have that effect. So I checked my email and read several news related websites. Then I logged onto Ravelry to edit my needles.

What?? Over 350 people were online. At 3 a.m.!!! Well, sure, I know Ravelry is worldwide and it was 9 a.m. UK time and 11 p.m. [yesterday] in Hawaii. But, I was initially surprised to see that many people online in the middle of my night-time!

Many months ago I bought yarn, needles, etc. for DD2 to learn to knit. She found yarn to go with her winter coat and wanted to knit a scarf she found in a knitting magazine [that I bought also.] Since then, she's decided not to knit. So, I'll knit the scarf for her when I finish the Oh-So-Simple [but huge] Cardigan. When I emptied the bag with the yarn, etc. I found a nice cache of needles & other knitting supplies - cable holder, several small stitch holders, stitch markers, and a Susan Bates "Knit-Check" -- with a ruler, stitch gauge, and needle sizer. The happiest find was the "knit-check." My old one, which pre-dates my kids, doesn't have the metric sizes. This new one does! How handy!!

OTN update: I have about 2/3 of the second front completed. I just *might* be able to finish it by Sunday when I leave for an out-of-town conference. I'd love to wear it there. Better get back to my knitting. I'm still increasing for the arm and I'm at a stitch count of about 100 on the needle. Need to get up to 136 sts. Argh. Easy pattern, but don't know that I'd do it again. Progress is slow. Painfully slow.

Actually, I'm starting to get tired. Maybe if I knit for awhile in the recliner I'll fall asleep. Oh, yeah, I've got today off work, so my messed up sleep schedule won't be a problem.

Craziest thing...it's a comp day for Feb. 17th when I was scheduled to work for someone else, but Did NOT work because we were closed due to the weather. We were closed on the 18th & 19th, too. [Originally I was going to take those two afternoons off.] I DID work on the 20th, 21st, and 22nd. My boss said that I technically had a six day work week, so I could take a day off this week. Well, I didn't argue, but I did have to think that one over. I only worked three days last week and I get a day off for the 17th when I didn't work. Works for me :-)

1 comment:

Kathy... said...

Sorry you couldn't sleep, but isn't it nice that time of day? Sofee and I get up each morning between 3:30 and 4:00. Love the quiet and, well, everything about the early morning hours. I am NOT on Ravelry that time of day, however.

Do you find the needle registry in Ravelry to be beneficial? Nice to find little long-lost treasures isn't it? My DD has never wanted to knit, but I am enjoying teaching her friend. She is a natural, so not much "teaching" going on actually.