One aunt still kept in contact with cousins in MO. The other was, let's just say, Not Happy that I was trying to find information about the family in MO. ["When mother died, those people could have helped us, but they didn't." -- Well, she was 11 when her mother died and probably had selective memory, and didn't know what all was going on. Maybe her dad refused their help.]
Grandma was very vague about her parents, grandparents, etc. "Nobody talked about family when I was growing up." Fast forward to the 21st century. OH...NOW I know why they didn't talk about it. On her mother's side, her grandparents appear to be uncle & niece. [I'm still trying to dig up the dirt on that one.] On her father's side, in the early 1800s, three frontier-living families intermarried - a lot. For starters: her paternal grandparents were Wm. & RG. RG's mother was Wm.'s aunt. RG's father's first cousin was Wm's mother.
Con: Lots of Smith's from Long Island on the tree. Why were they all named John or William?
Pro: Hey, all of this intermarrying means that I have fewer branches to research! And that IS a good thing.
So, I dabbled in genealogy a bit several decades ago. Then about 2001, Mother came to visit me in The West and brought along a big box of photos that had been GG's & Great Gran's. Dear Great Gran. She knew who all the people where in all those photos, but she didn't think about identifying them for us.
We sat there looking through the photos & I kept asking "Who's this?" And, "How are they related [to us] [to each other]?" Mother could answer some of my questions, but for a lot of them she said, "I can't remember, but I'm sure I've got that information back home in the genealogy box under my bed."
Finally, one of us said, "Some of this stuff might be on the Internet." Yep, some of it is. Just enough to get me hooked, but not enough to make it easy. I've tried to analyze why I enjoy it so much:
- I was [and always will be] a history major
- I enjoy the challenge of the hunt
- I find it facinating to learn about the people who helped make me who I am
No comments:
Post a Comment