Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Saga of My Sock Knitting Life Begins

My first winter back in the Midwest I noticed was that my feet were always cold. I often wore two pair of [cheap, thin, synthetic fabric] socks. Last winter I muttered to myself that what I needed was a pair [or 10 pair] of wool socks. Being the frugal sort, I looked for wool socks at my local Big Box. The only ones I found were men's hunting socks. Left without any.

Then, during the summer while I was thinking ahead to cold feet season, I thought, "I could knit a pair of wool socks!" So, being the frugal sort, I looked for sock weight yarn at my local Crafters Big Box. Couldn't find what I was looking for. WHAT? Don't people knit socks anymore? Then I went around the end of a row, & saw a "sale items" box with one skein of Lion Brand Wool Ease. That was just the type of yarn I was looking for - AND it was cheap. [Sadly, I've heard that the sport weight Wool Ease has been discontinued.]

I found a free sock pattern on the Internet for using Wool Ease. I had the dpn needed, so I was off on a new adventure. My Goal was to knit several pair of warm socks. Here's how I'm meeting my Goal:

Pair #1 - Lion Brand Wool Ease; in a blueish color. I love these. But, I didn't measure my foot correctly, so they are a bit large. But, they are great for wearing around the house.

Pair #2 - I had enough left over blueish Wool Ease to do a pair of short cuffed bed socks. Oh, my gosh. They are heavenly!

Pair #3 - Red Heart sport weight Aran Fleck on size 3 [US] dpn. Got the fit right. Very warm. Very washable. Very cheap. Very happy feet. (Don't laugh at the photo...I was experimenting with color!)




Pair #3.5 - Used the Aran Fleck for the pair for Sport.

Pair #4 - Red Heart Tweed in Cranberry. Went back to the k2, p2 for entire leg like Pair #1. Again, Very warm. Very washable. Very cheap. Very happy feet. You'll notice that I slipped in alternate rows of cranberry for the last half of the foot -- was concerned that I'd run out of the tweed.


Mother saw the first finished Tweed/Cranberry sock when I was working on 2nd sock. She wanted to know if she could have them. Well. No. I made them for my size 9.5 feet. Not her size 7.

Pair #5 - I decided it was time to try "real" sock yarn. I finished a pair in OPAL Petticoat #1295 - on size 1 [US] for Mother for Christmas.

Pair #6 - And then, I had enough leftover Aran Fleck to do another pair for her - on size 3 [US] [I wonder how many skeins I bought??] Same pattern as Pairs #1 & 4. They're OTN now. I should be able to finish by the 24th. If not, she'll get them at whatever row I stopped on - to be finished on the 25th. Won't be the first time she's gotten an unfinished Christmas present from me.

No comments: