On Jan 15, 2007, I did a brief post about the yDNA project that my brother participated in. The yDNA is for the male line [father's father's father's....] I've been thinking about having my DNA checked - the mitrochondrial DNA is for maternal ancestry. The test does not tell who you ancestor was but give clues as to where your [my] maternal ancestry fits into the deep or very old genetic lines.
I know who my mother's mother's mother's mother's mother was: Lucinda W. Cook. I know Lucinda was born in Pennsylvania in 1805. She married Moses Cochran in Mercer Co. PA in 1826. [He was about 18 years older and a widower. Don't know if he had children with his first wife.] Lucinda and Moses had, at least, 8 children and I know what happened to a few of them. Lucinda & Moses lived in Mercer Co. PA until at least 1855 [when he submitted a War of 1812 pension application.]
They were living in Henry Co., MO, at the time of the 1860 census. Then, according to more pension applications, Lucinda & Moses lived in Adams Co., IA. By 1877, they had moved with their oldest [known] son, Frank, to Madison Co., NE. Moses died there in 1878 at the age of 92. Lucinda died in Madison Co., NE, in 1883 at 78 years of age.
A few years ago, my DD3 & I met my sister and Mother in Madison Co. and we found Lucinda W. Cook & Moses Cochran's gravesites. That was before I'd heard about genealogical DNA, but I still felt a connection to Lucinda when I was standing at her grave - my mother's mother's mother's mother's mother.
What I don't know is: who was Lucinda W. Cook's mother [and father] [and what does the "W" stand for?]
I've started a list of things to do, send for, research, etc. for genealogy...all things that I haven't had time to do. I'm going to have time in the near future and I bet I won't want to be knitting ALL the time. That minor procedure I had last week has turned into a major procedure scheduled for next week and I'll have at least six weeks off work. I'm lining up projects:
- knit socks, I have enough sock yarn for 4 pairs
- crochet camouflage blankets for Sport & Buster
- organize all my photos from the past three years
- work on transfering data from my old genealogy database to my new one - and cleaning up the info, adding citations, etc.
1 comment:
Amazing!!
Post a Comment