Monday, February 19, 2007

People just aren't knitting anymore? Say it ain't so!

Two road trips in the past few days and visits to two new-to-me LYSs in two different towns.

1) This was really a "Fiber Arts" shop - and it must look like heaven to a quilter. But when I asked about yarn, the Owner said she's discontinuing most yarn, because "People just aren't knitting anymore." Oh, Really? I replied. And I mentioned being on the Socknitters list with thousands of others who knit socks. Her eyebrows KNIT together in a puzzled frown. The Owner said that we could look through catalogs and she'd special order for me. That was a great offer, but I declined since I don't know when I'll ever be up that way again.

2) Yesterday we visited a newly opened YARN shop. What fun! DD1 & I went to visit DD3 at college, so they both went into the shop with me. We did a lot of browsing - and squeezing of the yarn! :-) There was a smallish, but respectable, selection of sock yarn. Only one Step - in an orange colorway. Yuck. I bought a ball of OPAL Feelings in #1703. Also, touched a skein of Buffalo yarn! $60 per 50 g. I'll pass on that one!

OTN: February socks. Two legs and heel flaps completed. Doing the heel turn on the first. I should be able to do a lot of knitting tomorrow...These WILL be done in February!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Opal yarn will look great with jeans.

Can't wait to see what you make with it.

I don't agree with that shop owner that people aren't knitting. We have several knitting circles here and we get new members almost every week.

jknit said...

Yeah, I was SO surprised by what she said. There are a lot of knitters out there, but evidently that lady is not one of us.