Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Wasted days and a night

I had Great and Wonderful plans to get A LOT of knitting done yesterday and today. So far (3:25 p.m.) I've only done a few rows. I had a minor procedure done yesterday under anesthesia. It was scheduled for Noon. I got there early (with an empty stomach as ordered.) It didn't take long to get all the paper work done. I was taken to the surgery room, changed into a gown and with 25 minutes to go before the DR was to arrive, I thought I could knit.

I only got a row or two done when the anesthethist (spelling?) came in and put in an IV - in the bend of my elbow. No more knitting. So I laid there on the gurney, staring at the lights, and listening to the radio. I guess I could have asked them to change the station. But thought that maybe it was the Dr.'s favorite type of music and I'd better leave it alone. Noon came and went and about 12:45 p.m. someone came in to say that the Dr. was running late, still in surgery, and it might be another hour yet. So they turned the lights down. I forgot to ask about the radio. Oh, well. By that time I was sure I'd set a record for the consecutive number of minutes I've listened to Country music and I might as well build on the record....

Coming out of anesthesia was rough. The nurses wouldn't let me sleep, so I puked. They wanted me to sit up, but my head hurt. I kept asking for 10 more minutes. (Maybe I only asked twice.) They called my DD1 to come to take me home. ARGH. Couldn't keep anything down all afternoon & evening. Slept most of the time. Woke up about 3:45 a.m. and had a cup of weak tension tamer tea and three small soda cracker squares. Slept in the recliner till DD1 got up to go to work. Had a small bowl of oatmeal and tea. Slept a couple hours more. Had some chicken noodle soup and then slept till 2:30 p.m.

I feel like I'm recovering from the flu. Think I'll go make some Yorkshire Tea (but weaker than normal) and get to knitting. Only a week left in the month ... gotta finish my February socks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Puking and knitting just don't go together very well.

Take good care of yourself.