Wednesday, February 21, 2007

To count or Not to count

I've been comtemplating adding a "counter" on my blog (if blogger will let me.) I have mixed feelings about this. I'd like to see the number of visitors to my blog...but I'm thinking there probably aren't many, so maybe I'd rather not know!

But, that brings me to what's the purpose of blogging? My boss has been thinking about a blog for our department to keep our customers up-to-date on new products & services. Boss has been looking at blogs from other similar departments and said, "But, they really aren't Interactive, because there are very few comments posted."

I didn't disagree. But, I do disagree. I see a blog as having the potential to be interactive, but I don't see that it's the purpose of all blogs. Political blogs, perhaps, because the posts would generate debate. But, blogs to update customers about new products & services, or a blog like mine that updates whoever-drops-by on my little hobby projects. There's really not much to debate or comment on. If any visitor wants to comment, that's great. But, I certainly don't expect comments.

I read about 20 blogs now on a fairly regular basis. I enjoy being updated on the bloggers' projects and what they do share of their lives. I've only commented on a few. Maybe I should just say, "Hi, I visit your blog every week. Thanks for posting." ?? --- maybe I should.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you add a counter? That might be something interesting that I would like for my blog.

By the way, if you stop by my blog, say hi! ;-) I love to know who's around.

Kathy... said...

Yes, do post a "hi" if you stop by my blog. Your socks on Sam-3 are what led me here. They are beautiful - good job!

I started blogging last spring. It serves for me, a place to share my love of knitting with others who may be interested. (To the delight of my family - who are probably not as interested as they pretend to be). Counters are fun, in that you can see numbers, and even country of origins. You will be amazed at what you find.

~Lynn~ said...

I have a counter on my blog and love it. Only think is, it always counts me when I post.

Your knitting is wondful. Love the color in the socks. Is that a worsted weight yarn? Would love to find some worseted weight yarns with all the colors like yours. I live in Maine, so have to shop a lot on the internet and that is not at all fun. Love to touch it before I buy it, not after!

I have you bookmarked and will check in to see your progress in knitting and your blog. I have only been blogging for a few months, so still new to it.

Take care and knit on!

PS love it when people leave comments on my blog, don't have too many so really like them!