Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Short Row Heel

...ala "Simple Socks: Plain & Fancy" by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts. When the book came home to me, I read through it & thought: Yippee - I'll practice on that blue striped OPAL.

[I'll skip the part about the 3 total and 2 partial frogs...]

I finally got through a heel that I thought was "OK" and started down the foot. But, I kept seeing the two mistakes [one on each side of the heel] and they drove me nuts. *IF* these socks were going to be for me, I would have given a shrug and kept on going. But, this yarn is going to be used for socks for someone else. And while the [non-knitter] person who will eventually wear them probably wouldn't have noticed, I just couldn't bear to continue.

So...frogged again and now working on my standard heel flap.

While I was struggling with the short row technique, I thought that perhaps I should wait & try it on a pair of socks from heavier weight yarn. Then a few days ago Kathy mentioned that, too. [Thanks, Kathy.] That's what I'll do. I *think* have have mastered the technique - just need a bit more practice.

I have a yarn order hopefully in transit from KnitPicks. When I saw the mail truck at the corner, I thought, "Maybe the package will come today." Oh, no! It kept on going down the road. Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kathy... said...

Congrats on mastering the short-row heel. No small feet (ha ha - a little sock humor there!!) either!

I am trying to wrap my brain around "tubular cast off" - I may have to get the WW yarn out for this one too.
k

jknit said...

Tubular Cast Off? Don't know that either. With all the knitting I've done in my lifetime - there are an awful lot of techniques I've never tried!!!!