DD3 went with me today to the consultation with Dr. J, the radiation oncologist. We were both very impressed with Dr. J. She's very friendly, but professional, and speaks "Midwestern." [I'll have to admit, I was concerned that there might be a language problem before I met her. But, no worries. If she wasn't born in the USA, she's lived here most of her life.]
My cancer was at Stage 2 Level 2. Dr. J. explained that for some patients, their cancer & risk factors do not warrant radiation. For others, she strongly recommends it. However, for me...I'm on that "fence" area. She spent quite a long time explaining what if we do, what if we don't, complications & risks for either way, etc. And then, basically, said that it was my call. I really didn't have to think about it. Even though my "chances of survival" are at 88% without radiation, I opted to get that extra 8-10% reassurance and agreed to go for it.
I *thought* my surgeon had said that I'd probably start radiation in a "few weeks." But, Dr. J. said that we'll wait till I'm completely healed - and after I've had my 6 week check up. So, I'll meet with her again on April 24th. There will be two preliminary appointments to get me measured and my belly tattooed and get my coordinates into the computer. [I was thinking I'd like butterflies, but DD1 said the tattoos will be dots.] Once radiation begins, I'll have 28 sessions, one each Monday through Friday till done. I'll be able to work, at least part time, during my treatments, although Dr. J. said that the last week might be a bit rough and to consider taking that week off work.
As you can tell [being that I'm sitting at the computer], I'm feeling a lot better than I was a week ago! Still tire easily, still need pain meds, but I can manage at home on my own OK while DD1 is at work.
Thanks for your prayers and concern, I really appreciate it.
1 comment:
Sounds like you made the right decision - at least the same one I would have made. Will keep you in my prayers....
Post a Comment